Sunday, August 7, 2016

Socks



Hello Knitters!

This week I am talking about socks! I'm not going to lie and say socks are my favorite thing to knit. I know a few people who really enjoy knitting socks, but while every once in a while I get the sock fever, I have a very bad case of second sock syndrome, which for a long time prevented me from knitting them. Both the socks knitted below were victims of this syndrome!

I somehow don't have this same problem with mittens, but perhaps that's because they knit up quicker and it could also be that my family ask me for mittens every year, especially my sister, who gets a new pair every birthday.

Anyway, I’ve jumped off the subject, we are here to talk about socks, not mittens!

As you probably know there are a few ways to make socks. Every knitter you talk to will have their favorite way of knitting them, I actually have two! I always knit two at a time now and I love both toe up and cuff down. I personally think that cuff down ends up with a prettier toe, however toe up is much easier to fit to the foot of whomever you are knitting for and once you finish the foot and go into the cuff, if you start finding yourself in a panic as you watch the yarn disappear and wonder if you have enough, it's not such a big deal to have a sock with a shorter cuff.

I had planned on having a picture of two fully finished baby socks that I am currently working on, however a teething baby girl,as you can see, prevented a lot of knitting this week. Hopefully next week I’ll have it finished so I can show you the finished product! Though even as I type Violet is trying to push keys and demanding attention. If I'm honest it's taking me far longer then it should to write this post!


Baby socks are the perfect place to start if you've never knitted socks before. They are smaller so they are easier to knit up and babies don't care if they aren't perfect!

Socks are one of my favorite traveling project, I can't think of anything more portable to then socks. Plus you can change them up in so many different ways! Though be warned. If you take your knitting in public places, be prepared to be asked what you're making and if you would be willing to make socks for them!

Honestly though it's a great way to make friends you normally wouldn't! I don't know what it is about knitting that draws people to you, but it really does create a great conversation starter!

Did you know you can knit socks in the flat if doing it in a round is not for you? You can! Though it's not my favorite way to do it, mostly because you have to sew them up and they have a seam afterwards and for comfort sake I prefer no seam, but if your uncomfortable with working in the round, knitting them on two needles are an easy alternative!

These little pink lovelies were knitted on two needles and I got a lot of complements on them, though Violet grew out of them quickly as babies tend to do which makes me a tiny bit sad!

The current project I'm working on are baby socks in a round and I'm knitting them toe up.

I'm knitting them on a 40 inch circular knitting needle using the magic loop method, I knit all my socks with that method and I can't recommend it enough! It solves the problem of laddering stitches and it's super easy once you've had some practice!

I included a link below for a great Youtube video that helped me figure out the magic loop method. I always say, aside from my stepmother's help, youtube has helped me learn to knit more than any thing else!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqySdHjIPIc

So far my socks aren't even to the gusset, but they are coming along nicely, hopefully by next week I can show you a finished pair!

If you have any questions feel free to ask! Have a wonderful week! Hopefully it's full of knitting! Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment